PS16 is the online college application service that you will be using in Year 11 to apply for college application, links to all local colleges can be found on the PS16 website. If you click on ‘Courses’ and select ‘By Provider’, you will see a list of all of the colleges, sixth form colleges and local training providers. You will also be able to look at college prospectuses for each college. Start looking at what courses are available, you will be given more information about courses and level during Stop the Clock and Personal Development sessions. You will be receiving your username and password in October which will enable you to set up an account.
- Open Day Events –Please see attached list of college open days, this will be updated as we receive any further information. Careers – college open days 2020-2021
- Mock Interview Information
When your PS16 application has been submitted you will be invited to attend an interview/applicant event at your chosen college/s. These may be virtual/ telephone interviews due to the current situation.We would normally have a face to face Mock Interview session in the theatre with Year 11’s and employers organised by Leicestershire Cares in February but due to Covid restrictions this has been cancelled.However, Leicestershire Cares will be running virtual Mock Interview sessions with students via Zoom as follows: –
- 15-minute interviews will be conducted in one of our computer rooms (A119), where each student will have the opportunity to take part in a virtual interview with an employer supervised by the Careers team.
- This will be done in groups of 13 students
- The sessions will take place between 8.50am and 12.10pm on Friday 6th November, 20th November and 4th December.
- Students will be advised which date and time they need to attend – It is vital that students are on time.
- Computers and headsets will be cleaned between students
- The employers will supply Careers with feedback on the interviews and certificates which we will collate and hand back to the students. Mock Interview Tips
- Course levels
There are different levels of courses available to you at College or Sixth Form College, the courses that you are able to apply for are based on your progress grades, please open the document attached to see which level courses you would be able to apply for. Progress Grades
- Differences between College and Sixth Form College
Please click here to see the main differences between college and sixth form.
- Types of Courses available
You may be unsure what course you would like to take after Rushey Mead, as you have the choice of A levels, BTEC, T levels which are new this year or an Apprenticeship, please click here to find out more information.
- Introduction to T levels
T levels are being offered at the following colleges from 2020: Leicester College, Loughborough College, Brooksby Melton College, Gateway College and North Warwickshire & South Leicestershire College (NWSLC), there are limited courses available. Click here for more information about T levels.
- Apprenticeship Information
You may prefer to do an apprenticeship programme after Rushey Mead which would combine study and work.
- How to register for apprenticeship opportunities
You can also sign up to the apprenticeship service where you will receive alerts about apprenticeships that are available in your area, if you decide that you would like to apply for an apprenticeship you would still need to submit a college application in case you weren’t successful. You would need to start looking at applying for apprenticeships from April 2021 onwards for a July/August start.
- Careers Quiz
If you are unsure about what you would like to do after you leave school, try this quiz to see the type of job you may be suited to!
- Personal Statement Advice
As part of your PS16 college you will have to submit a Personal Statement, this is a chance for you to tell colleges about yourself, click on the attached document to show what information a personal statement should include. Tips for completing your personal statement